.more about husband and me.

.great love in august: kimberly + matt.



.pc. .maria lang.



.kimberly + matt.
.(according to kimberly).

Matt and I met here in the city (manhattan) at an YSA FHE. 
I had a summer job upstate, but I happened to be in the city that day. 
I was sitting with one of his friends 
(he had a crush on me, and I didn't know) 
when I saw him, and the friend introduced us. 
We really hit it off! 
I remember thinking it was really easy to talk to him, 
which is funny because now I will listen to him
 having conversations and think he's a little awkward, haha.... 
Matt says that he had seen me before
 at different church activities and thought I was cute, 
but he didn't want to approach me
--out of his league? Maybe. 
Probably moreso because he was 
focused on finishing his masters degree. 
Anyway, we exchanged numbers that night, 
I went back to my job, and he went back to... whatever.

I didn't hear from him again until another YSA activity
 at the beginning of the school year. 
He asked me why he hadn't heard from me! 
I thought it was odd that he was asking why I hadn't called
 or anything when he's the one who asked for MY number, 
but I decided to bite. 
That night, I texted him and asked if he wanted
 to do anything after Institute that week. 
The next day, someone texted ME and 
asked if I wanted to go out the next day! 
I was really confused--I had no idea who the person was, 
or how they had gotten my number! 
I later found out that Matt had given my number to this guy, 
thinking that if he didn't have time to date
 that at least I should go out with someone nice.
 But I guess I preempted that.

We had plenty of funny/awkward/strange
 moments in the first few months of dating! 
When we went on our first date, 
Matt thinks I was trying to be too cool 
and embarrassed myself in the process 
(did I say something about being the favorite child in my family? yes. yes I did.) 
Matt said something to the effect of,
 "I don't date teenagers (he was 26 at the time), 
but you're in college, so you must be 20 or 21, right?" 
I froze up and said, "Well, I'm not 21..." 
and left it at that--
later I had to explain that I was in my 20th year of life, 
which meant I was only 19 years old. 
Now I explain this to my friends by saying
 that I was like Isaac's wife Rebekah--
I did what I had to do to make righteouness come forth! 
Really... I lied. But it all turned out okay.
 We also met my parents about three weeks after we started dating, 
and my mom asked him the most awkward questions, 
like we had been dating for years and were on our way to the temple. 
But even that turned out okay, too, despite the red faces on both our parts!

Matt graduated from his masters program
 three months after we got together,
 and moved back upstate with his family. 
We saw each other about every two to three weeks on the weekend.
 In between those times, since we both like reading, 
we started a book club just for the two of us, 
to keep us connecting without being too crazy obsessed with each other. 
Even if we were obsessed, just a bit... and of course, 
we talked every night on the phone! 
That first weeknight we talked for hours! 
I visited him often upstate, 
and he came to NC to meet my family 
(sans awkwardness) in March of 09. 
He says that's when he definitely knew he wanted to marry me--
he even kind of proposed 
while I was waiting for the subway in Port Authority! 
He knew he liked me, 
but marriage was a big step for him 
since both of his parents have been divorced twice. 
I'm grateful he was willing to take a chance on me!

We got engaged in Oct. 2009--
nothing fancy, just a nice sweet moment shared over breakfast--
and got married in April 2010. 
Both Conference weekends! 

In May I graduated from NYU
 (when they called my name at my school's graduation,
 he screamed out THAT'S MY WIFE 
from the balcony of Radio City music hall!),
 and started grad school for child psychology. 

He is a very excellent
 elementary school special ed teache
r in a public school in Upper Manhattan. 

We celebrated our 1st anniversary last April Fool's day,
 and we are loving life! 

He says his favorite thing about me is my sweetness,
 and my legs (if that is allowed to say).
 I love that he carries change in his pocket
 for the homeless people on the street,
 and that he's a lot nicer and patient than he thinks he is.
 He tells me that I'm gorgeous every day,
 and I believe him! 
We love learning together and exploring different things,
 whether it's good food or a fun Broadway show
 (and we see waaaay too many of those to be healthy).



.what makes
your love great?.


It has never seemed this natural with anyone else.
 Everything just got so much better when we were together--
I even got straight As for the last couple of years of undergrad,
 even with planning a wedding! 
And with him I got a better sense of Heavenly Father's love for me--
he has been so kind and generous, 
and unconditionally loving, 
but yet expecting a lot spiritually. 
So that's been good. 
And even though I can't stand that he smacks his food sometimes, 
which is probably my BIGGEST pet peeve,
 I love him unconditionally too. 
True love!

Like I mentioned before, we're pretty good at just staying connected--
I have some great letters we used to write each other
 over the summer when we were apart, 
and he is the best greeting card selector I have ever met. 
We also have a lot of fun together--
he used to hide different places
 in the apartment to scare me when I would walk by...
 and we've got plenty of inside jokes
 and intonations to keep us entertained.
 We have also learned to be intersted in things
 the other is into that we're not, really;
 for example, he watches about a third of the
 reality tv shows that I watch (poor guy, that's all he can take),
 and I went with him two out of the three times
 he went to watch Avatar.
 I think we are making our way to be a unit,
 and that feels nice.


-----



.seriously how great
is this love story?.

.we love how
much fun they have
together by just doing
the simple things.

.do you have a
love story?.

.we want to hear it.



No comments: